The more time I spend thinking about time management, the more I realise the importance of systems.
I can see the value of systemising not just tasks within my business, but many aspects of my life, so here is my list of time management tips (some of which I am better at than others).
- Mark all appointments in my own and the family diary/calendar to stop trying to remember everything weeks down the track
- Start my own card distribution service so I don’t miss family and friends’ birthdays and can show clients how much I appreciate them
- Produce business systems for my most-used tasks so I can pass them on to my virtual helpers
- Take advantage of small pockets of time by doing one task that will take exactly that long, instead of getting lost in checking emails or losing hours on social media
- Prioritise tasks to be completed each day – and be realistic
- Develop an ideal week including client and business days (this is still a work in progress for me)
- Batching by completing similar tasks at the same time. Read more about this at Alycia Edgar’s blog
- Setting my annual goals, breaking them down into monthly tasks and then producing a daily/weekly checklist to make sure they get done
- Giving myself time out. I’ve spent too long recently holed up in the office doing all of this and not getting out breathing the fresh air or just experiencing the life I’m working so hard for. So I’m making sure I go for walks, drinking good coffee in some of Launceston’s great cafes and enjoying cuddles with my family. It helps to recharge and do it all again!
My list is by no means a definitive answer to managing time effectively, but these are things that work for me. I’d love to hear what works for you.